Join My Mailing List

Join my mailing list for the latest stories, offers, and updates!!

Sunday, February 17, 2019

Poetry: Bleeding Through the Year in Verse


It’s been a difficult year,
You wrote me a song and told me it’s over.
It’s been a treacherous year,
Every conversation’s been feeling like a hostile takeover.

Having dinner on the frontlines,
Sharing a drink across enemy lines;
Across the dinner table I fire a shot
The bullet ricochets, your sigh an afterthought. 

An unforgiving year, ‘cause you won’t tell me what’s wrong;
What to forgive and where to start.
Won’t sing me a melody, won’t write me a song,
That doesn’t end with your pen through my heart.

The days bleed together, ‘cause you won’t answer my calls,
Won’t return fire, but this ceasefire, cuts worse than our fiercest wars.
They tell me to sing, but I can’t hold a tune without your name on it;
Can’t envision a future, and the past is still bleeding where we split.

It’s been a terrifying year, ‘cause I’m still jumping at the shadows,
Of your disappointment, the discontent that you compose.
An inconceivable year, ‘cause God, this isn’t how we were meant to end;
In bitterness and outrage, to the warfront of silence condemned.

But maybe you’ll say something, if I sing loud enough;
Maybe you’ll hold up a shield if I fire another shot.
So I’ll smile and I’ll croon and I’ll twirl, till I’ve come undone
Brought you down or choked on the melody you forgot. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Popular Posts